This section provides an outline of the overall academic recruitment tasks, including creating a Search Plan prior to launching a search, evaluating applicants during the search, and completing a Search Report once a candidate (or candidates) has been selected to put forward for appointment consideration. The subsequent sections provide more detail and rationale for each of the tasks in the bulleted lists below. In AP Recruit you will find the locations where the information described in this Search Guide is entered. The AP Recruit User Manual provides information specifically on the logistics of navigating the AP Recruit system.
Approximate timeline: Allow approximately two – three weeks for creation and approval of the Search Plan and advertisement(s).
- Prepare a Search Plan, which includes the advertisement.
- Receive all required approvals, including the Office for Faculty Equity & Welfare (OFEW) as the final approver.
- Publish the recruitment upon approval.
Timeline: Allow a minimum of 15 calendar days for advertisement and outreach (a longer period of time is necessary if a broad and inclusive pool is not achieved).
- The recruitment is automatically posted in a number of online locations. All recruitments must be posted for a minimum of 15 days; pools may be open for up to one year, with an Initial Review Date at least 15 days after the recruitment opens.
- All advertisements must state open until filled.
- It is necessary to conduct active outreach for a broad and inclusive pool of applicants by using additional advertisement locations and making personal contacts (at least two relevant discipline-specific outreach activities).
- Determine whether individuals who submitted an application by the deadline date meet the basic qualifications necessary to be considered an applicant, as stated in the advertisement. Assign disposition reasons (deselection) for individuals who did not meet the basic qualifications.
- Evaluate the applicant pool for size, depth, and diversity after a minimum of 15 calendar days. If needed, extend the recruitment period for at least another 15 days. It is not necessary to submit the applicant pool for review and approval in AP Recruit.
Approximate timeline: Allow approximately two – six weeks to evaluate applicants and conduct interviews.
- Fully evaluate all applicants for the position using objective criteria and established evaluation mechanisms (for pools, consider only applicants who applied by the review date and have expertise in the area under consideration).
- Provide disposition reasons for applicants who do not move forward for further consideration. It is not necessary to submit a short list for review and approval in AP Recruit.
- Keep applicant statuses up-to-date.
- Conduct interviews with at least two candidates and select a final candidate(s).
Approximate timeline: Allow approximately two weeks for creation and approval of the Search Report.
- Begin the Search Report as soon as possible (e.g., evidence of advertising and outreach activities can be uploaded, disposition reasons can be given to some candidates early in the search process, all candidate statuses should be kept up-to-date throughout the recruitment).
- Submit the Search Report to OFEW through AP Recruit prior to making an official offer of employment to the candidate(s). Candidates can be told they are being recommended for appointment to the position. The status for the final candidate should be “Proposed Candidate.”
- For pools, a Search Report is needed when a candidate or candidates are put forward for potential hire. Multiple candidates can be included in a single Search Report when being put forward at the same time as part of the same pool. When another candidate is selected from the pool at a later time, a new Search Report must be put forward.
- Return to AP Recruit when an outcome for the recruitment is known – formal campus offer given, formal offer accepted, formal offer declined, candidate was hired, or not – and update the applicant statuses.
- Click on the "Conclusions" tab and select a final outcome of the search.
- Conclude the recruitment