Family Responsive Policies
- Childbearing and parental/family bonding leave and Adoption Assistance
- Tenure clock extension for one year for parents caring for a newborn or child newly placed for adoption or foster care (requested within two years of the birth or placement); or for a serious personal health condition or other significant circumstance or event.
- Active Service Modified Duties, a reduction of duties (typically less teaching) for one semester for parents who provide at least 50% of the care of a child. Birth mothers are entitled to two semesters.
- Temporary Workload Modification for health-related caregiving
Read more about UC's family-responsive policies and commitments here.
Dependent care resources
- UC Berkeley Early Childhood Education Program.
- Bright Horizons back-up care program: 80 hours of subsidized dependent care for Senate faculty to use when their regular child or adult/elder care is unavailable
- Bananas compilation of local resources for childcare needs.
- Berkeley Parents Network assessment of local resources for families.
- UC Berkeley Cal Camps & Youth Program for summer fun.
- Berkeley CareBubbles: an online parent-to-parent resource for supporting one another with dependent care needs
- Help and discounts via Bright Horizons for finding nannies, child care centers, tutors, etc., as well as information and resources. (Please note that not all represented employees are eligible for this UCOP-sponsored program. Consult with your union representative for more information).
- Bright Horizons Family Resources for Life at Home
- Reimbursement for dependent care travel expenses
- UCB Elder Care program: confidential, free assistance for faculty and staff. An Elder Care Counselor can answer your questions and refer you to resources and caregiver support groups both locally and long distance.
Partner and Spouse Employment
Resources are availalbe for for partners and spouses seeking employment. Read more here.
- The UC Berkeley jobs website posts all open academic and staff positions at Berkeley.
- The Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC) posts jobs at UC Berkeley and other local universities. You can create a profile to receive notifications of new postings of interest to you.
- Chairs and Deans can sometimes assist in locating academic employment at Berkeley.
Health and wellness programs
Be Well at Work Faculty/Staff Health Programs at UC Berkeley
Please visit this link for workshops, resources, and health programs. Workshop topics include health & wellness, ergonomics, disability management, elder care, financial wellness, parenting, and stress management.
Breastfeeding Support Program
Please visit this link for information on the BFSP program, including registration, breast pump products available, lactation rooms on campus, classes, accommodation, supplies and additional resources.
The Pregnant ScholarThis website helps ensure the success of student parents and seeks to advance women’s representation in STEM fields by providing user-friendly information and resources on Title IX for faculty, administrators, and pregnant students and postdocs. The site includes a wide range of tools—from introductory videos to in-depth best-practice guides.