This section provides an outline of the overall academic recruitment tasks for non-senate searches, including creating a Search Plan prior to launching a search, evaluating applicants during the search, and completing a Search Report once a candidate (or candidates) has been selected to put forward for appointment consideration. In AP Recruit you will find the locations where the information described in this Search Guide is entered. The Help Section in AP Recruit provides information specifically on the logistics of navigating the AP Recruit system.
Creating the Search Plan and Launching the Recruitment
Approximate timeline: Allow approximately two – three weeks for creation and approval of the Search Plan and advertisement(s).
- Prepare a Search Plan, which includes the advertisement.
- Receive all required approvals, including the Office for Faculty Equity & Welfare (OFEW) as the final approver.
- Publish the recruitment upon approval.
Timeline: Allow a minimum of 15 calendar days for advertisement and outreach (advertising for 30 days is necessary if the initial recruitment period does not yield a minimum of 10 qualified applicants).
- The recruitment is automatically posted in a number of online locations. All recruitments must be posted for a minimum of 15 days; pools may be open for up to one year, with an Initial Review Date at least 15 days after the recruitment opens.
- All advertisements must state open until filled.
- Units should do additional advertising and personal outreach to ensure a broad and inclusive pool of applicants.
- Determine whether individuals who submitted an application by the deadline date meet the basic qualifications necessary to be considered an applicant, as stated in the advertisement. Assign disposition reasons (deselection) for individuals who did not meet the basic qualifications.
- Evaluate the applicant pool for size, depth, and diversity after a minimum of 15 calendar days. If needed, extend the recruitment period for at least another 15 days. It is not necessary to submit the applicant pool for review and approval in AP Recruit.
Approximate timeline: Allow approximately two – six weeks to evaluate applicants and conduct interviews.
- Fully evaluate all applicants for the position using objective criteria and established evaluation mechanisms (for pools, consider only applicants who applied by the review date and have expertise in the area under consideration).
- Provide disposition reasons for applicants who do not move forward for further consideration. It is not necessary to submit a short list report for review and approval in AP Recruit.
- Keep applicant statuses up-to-date.
- Conduct interviews with at least two candidates and select a final candidate(s).
Completing the Search Report
Approximate timeline: Allow approximately two weeks for creation and approval of the Search Report.
- Begin the Search Report as soon as possible (e.g., evidence of advertising and outreach activities can be uploaded, disposition reasons can be given to some candidates early in the search process, all candidate statuses should be kept up-to-date throughout the recruitment).
- Receive final approval from OFEW for the Search Report prior to making an official offer of employment to the candidate(s). Candidates can be told they are being recommended for appointment to the position. The status for the final candidate should be “Proposed Candidate.”
- For pools, a Search Report is needed when a candidate or candidates are put forward for potential hire. Multiple candidates can be included in a single Search Report when being put forward at the same time as part of the same pool. When another candidate is selected from the pool at a later time, a new Search Report must be put forward.
Final Closing Instructions for Searches
- Return to AP Recruit when an outcome for the recruitment is known – formal campus offer given, formal offer accepted, formal offer declined, candidate was hired, or not – and update the applicant statuses.
- Click on the "Conclusions" tab and select a final outcome of the search.
- Conclude the recruitment